What is the effect of cantonal tourism marketing? A case study of the canton of Bern
In 2012, the canton of Bern established the marketing organization BE! Tourismus AG. We quantitatively analyze the effects of the marketing on the guests and qualitatively analyze the effects on the stakeholders.
The primary goal of the BE! Tourismus AG is an increased visibility on the market. In the study, we therefore quantify the overnight stays and sales caused by its marketing activities. Figure 1 summarizes the concept of the analysis:
- Concept: Analysis of the goals and vision of the BE!Tourismus AG.
- Input: Analysis of the process together with stakeholders
- Output: Marketing (e.g., commercials) that target guests directly or are available for destinations’ marketing mixes
- Outcome: The marketing activities in step 3 should lead to higher visibility of the canton of Bern
- Impact: The higher visibility should translate into an increase of overnight stays and sales in the canton of Bern.
In this study, we show that the BE! Tourismus AG acts as an enabler for the destinations in the sense that the bundling of activities increases their bargaining power towards other outside stakeholders. Furthermore, the new organization generated direct value added for the destinations.