CRED - Geography
The Institute of Geography at the University of Bern invites applications for the position:
PhD Student and Assistant in Economic Geography
The PhD is part of the Economic Geography group at the University of Bern (Prof. Heike Mayer). The group`s research focus is on the evolution of firms and industries in spatial context. We examine why certain cities and regions manage to grow entrepreneurial and innovative economies while others fail to do so. The successful candidate will pursue his/her PhD on a topic related to the group`s work in entrepreneurship, innovation, regional development, etc. (according to the candidate`s research interests). For more information about the group, please visit: http://www.geography.unibe.ch/research/economic_geography/index_eng.html
We offer a stimulating work environment, which provides opportunities to present the results of your research at national and international conferences and workshops. The Institute of Geography at the University of Bern is one of the largest of its kind in Switzerland and offers a stimulating and interdisciplinary work environment. The research group is also part of the Center for Regional Economic Development (CRED) at the University of Bern.
Starting date: September 1, 2017 (later starting date negotiable)
Duration: August 30, 2018, 1 year, renewable for 2 x 2 years. Max. duration: 5 years
Workplace: Bern, Institute of Geography, University of Bern, Switzerland
- Conducting research for a doctoral dissertation
- Preparing and submitting scientific publications
- Supporting the group`s teaching and research
- Candidates should hold a Master degree in human geography or in a closely related discipline.
- Candidates should be able to conduct fieldwork using methods of social science analysis. Experiences in economic geography research and methods are an asset.
- Excellent language skills in English and German.
The application should include the following (as a Word or pdf file):
- Letter of motivation
- Full CV
- Names and e-mail addresses of 2 academic references
- Copies of diplomas and diploma supplements
- 1 short writing sample (e.g. chapter of master thesis)
- 1 page proposal for an idea for doctoral research that fits with the research of the group